Published OnJuly 20, 2023
Exploring the Vertical Video Revolution: Optimizing Content for Mobile Audiences
In today’s fast-paced digital world, brands must continually adapt to stay ahead of the curve and meet audiences where they are. One area of growth that cannot be ignored is the mobile landscape, where a significant portion of content consumption takes place. However, watching traditional widescreen (16:9) videos on a mobile device often presents a challenge, as the smaller screen size hinders the overall viewing experience. The solution to this issue lies in vertical video—a format specifically designed for mobile device consumption. As a cinematic storytelling video production house, Barking Squirrel Media champions the cause of creating content that not only captivates audiences but also adapts to their ever-changing behavior.
Vertical video, with its 9:16 aspect ratio, takes advantage of the natural orientation of smartphones. Social media platforms such as Snapchat, Instagram, and TikTok have spearheaded the vertical video revolution, developing innovative features tailored to this format. As a result, vertical video has quickly become an essential aspect of a modern video marketing strategy.
In our upcoming blog series, we will guide you through the ins and outs of creating engaging vertical video content, optimizing it for mobile audiences, and leveraging the power of this format to maximize your brand’s reach and impact. From exploring framing and composition to addressing technical concerns and best practices, our goal is to equip you with the knowledge and tools to thrive in this mobile-first world.
The major areas we will focus on in this blog series include:
- Understanding vertical video’s potential: Learn the benefits of incorporating vertical video into your marketing strategy and how it can enhance audience engagement.
- Mobile-first design concepts: Delve into the fundamentals of framing, composition, and storytelling techniques to create content explicitly tailored for mobile devices.
- Adapting your brand’s content for vertical video: Discover tips and tricks for repurposing existing widescreen videos into vertical format without losing their storytelling impact.
- Platform-specific considerations: Get to know the nuances of various social media platforms that have embraced vertical video and the unique features they offer.
- Measuring success and optimizing for performance: Assess the performance of your vertical video content, deciphering analytics data, and refining your strategy for improved results.
Join Barking Squirrel Media as we navigate the fascinating world of vertical video and unveil the secrets to success in capitalizing on this rapidly growing trend. Let’s embrace the mobile-first future together and elevate your brand’s video marketing strategy to new heights, reaching wider audiences and maximizing engagement like never before.
Why Vertical Video Matters: The Benefits Uncovered
The increased use of mobile devices has changed the way people consume content. Vertical video makes it easier for viewers to engage with videos on their phones, as they no longer need to flip their devices sideways. This user-friendly approach offers several advantages for brands looking to connect with their audience:
- Improved user experience: Vertical videos are easier to watch on mobile devices, making it less likely for viewers to abandon the video or leave your brand’s content unread.
- Increased social media reach: Platforms such as Instagram and Snapchat cater specifically to vertical video, offering brands opportunities to capitalize on their users’ content preferences.
- Higher engagement: Research shows that vertical video ads drive higher completion rates than horizontal ads. By embracing vertical video, brands can encourage viewers to interact with their content more effectively.
- Mobile-first approach: As more people access digital content via mobile devices, adopting a mobile-first video strategy ensures your brand stays relevant and resonates with your target audience.
Designing Vertical Video: Key Framing and Composition Considerations
To create visually appealing vertical videos, you need to understand the unique characteristics of this format: the 9:16 aspect ratio. Adapting your content will necessitate a shift in your composition and framing techniques:
- Keep the subject centered: With less horizontal space, it’s essential to ensure your subject remains the focus. Place the main subject or action in the center of the frame to keep the viewer’s attention.
- Use close-ups and medium shots: Vertical videos lend themselves well to close-ups and medium shots. These shot types allow for better detail and connection with the subject compared to wide shots.
- Embrace vertical movement: Incorporate vertical action in your videos, such as objects moving up or down, to take advantage of the taller frame.
- Prioritize simplicity and clarity: With less screen real estate, avoid cluttering the frame with too many visual elements. Keep your compositions simple and clear, and use text sparingly to avoid obscuring the subject.
Reformatting Widescreen Content for Vertical Viewing
While original vertical videos are ideal, sometimes repurposing existing widescreen content (16:9) for vertical viewing is necessary. When adapting your content, consider the following tips:
- Re-edit with vertical framing in mind: Determine which scenes fit best in the vertical format. You can resize, crop, and rearrange your footage to focus on the most important elements while keeping the subject at the center.
- Ensure smooth transitions: Re-edit your vertical video, keeping in mind that vertical and horizontal cuts should be smooth and visually pleasing. Use crossfades and other simple transitions to maintain a seamless viewing experience.
- Optimize graphics and text: When adapting existing videos, ensure that any text and graphic elements are appropriately adjusted for the new format. Resize and reposition text and graphics to provide optimal readability without overshadowing the video’s content.
- Retain key storytelling aspects: Ensure key storytelling elements, such as the story arc and emotional impact, are retained when reformatting. Use cropping and reframing techniques as needed to maintain visual and narrative coherence.
Maximizing Performance on Different Platforms
Each social media platform has its unique features and user behaviors. To optimize your vertical videos on various channels, consider the following platform-specific tips:
- Instagram: Take advantage of Instagram Stories and Reels to create short, attention-grabbing vertical videos. Ensure your content is visually engaging and offers value to your audience—consider using captions, as users often watch without sound.
- Snapchat: Embrace Snapchat’s spontaneity with raw, authentic, and unfiltered content. Use vertical video content to provide exclusive behind-the-scenes content or product reveals.
- TikTok: Utilize short-form vertical content to showcase your brand’s unique personality. Participate in trending challenges, incorporate popular music, and maintain a lighthearted tone to maximize your appeal to a younger demographic.
- Facebook: While Facebook supports vertical videos in the News Feed and Stories, ensure your content is optimized for mobile viewing. Utilize clear visuals, compelling hooks, and captions for a better user experience.
Embrace the Vertical Video Trend
By acknowledging the growth and importance of vertical video in video marketing, brands can optimize their content for mobile viewing and stay ahead in the digital age. Focusing on aligning your strategy with mobile-first design concepts, reformatting widescreen content, and making the most of each social media platform’s unique characteristics will ensure that your brand engages and resonates with your target audience.
At Barking Squirrel Media, we understand the power of the vertical video revolution and are committed to helping brands harness its potential. Reach out to us today to elevate your video production and marketing strategy with a professional touch and take your brand’s mobile content experience to new heights.